I feel blessed to have had an illustrious career spanning three decades and three continents, and to have worked with some amazing leaders and colleagues. I think of my career has having four distinct areas of focus:
As a technologist, I specialize in digital transformation and have been a technology leader for major global brands including Apple, Comic Relief, Google, IBM, Marks and Spencer, National Geographic and most recently T-Mobile.
My passion for technology started at the tender age of 8 when I was taught to program on a ZX81 by my wonderful primary school teacher, Mr. Martin. Since then, I have owned and operated over a dozen different types ofcomputer and pride myself on maintaining technical certifications while increasingly focusing on strategic leadership.
I have led the development of some critical platforms and systems that have impacted millions of lives. There are many highlights, but I’m particularly proud to have:
– Delivered FROST (Fundraising Operating System Two) which powers Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day and Sport Relief events, and which was an industry-leading example of agile software development.
– Led the creation of the Accessibility Center of Excellence at Apple which helped to make Apple’s e-commerce platform one of the most accessible in the world.
– Built the Product & Technology team at National Geographic which developed the platforms, systems and apps that powered National Geographic’s digital transformation and serve hundreds of millions of customers every day.
– Kicked-off Google’s involvement in the Ki project that delivered the world’s first AI-driven insurance syndicate for Brit Insurance
I was exposed to the world of investing early on in my career when I spent five years working with a boutique private equity firm in London. Today,am Limited Partner for several venture capital funds, and an active angel investor.
I prefer to support ventures that have strong scientific or technical intellectual property, and are focused on innovative solutions that tackle important problems that have a profound effect on people’s lives.
Companies that I am proud to have in my portfolio include:
– alltold AI -building responsible AI to understand people and bias in media content for the benefit of brands, businesses, and people around the world
– Oxford Cancer Analytics -pioneering the use of liquid biopsy to enabling curative cancer treatment through early detection.
– Teethi -transforming dentistry through the provision of innovative patented concierge dentistry solutions
– Wellthy -providing personalized support to help people tackle the logistical and administrative tasks of caring for themselves and their loved ones
Having worked at both ends of the digital transformation spectrum -in the world’s most innovative technology companies creating the products and service that have disrupted the world and in legacy brands that are disrupted by them – I have found myself uniquely positioned to advise companies on their product and technology operations, strategy and growth.
Key advisory roles that I have had include:
– Advisor to Intelligent Lab on Fiber
– Advisory Board Member at XYO
– Director at Oxford Cancer Analytics
– Expert in Residence for the University of Oxford’s Foundry Startup Incubator
– Growth Advisory Board Member at CapitalG -Google’s Growth Equity fund
– Non Executive Director at WillowTree Apps -acquired in January 2023 for $1.25 Billion.
I take great pleasure from using my skills and experience to support causes and organizations that important to me, and I have been a trustee for several not-for-profit including:
– FoodCycle -a charity nourishing in need communities with food and conversation
– MyBnk -a social enterprise that creates and delivers innovative, high-impact and high-energy financial education programmes for young people
– Social Tech Trust -working to realizde the potential for technology to create a fairer and more regenerative future
– The Humane Society -fighting the big fights to end suffering for all animals and to create a humane society